Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Drinks on the House


I must have been building my karmic bank account lately because I keep getting free drinks that I should have paid for. For the past week I've been given three:

* Tonight at Coffee Bean (the west coast's Starbucks competitor) I pulled up at 9:10 to get an Ice Blended. A guy sweeping up for the night spotted me and yelled out "We closed at nine." But seeing the disappointment in my face, a broken man sitting in his little dented gray VW, he relented and yelled out "What do you want?" I said an Ice Blended and he said he could do that. So I parked and followed him inside. Just as he was about to start though I realized I had left my money at home and cried out "Wait, wait, wait!" He said he was already in motion and not to worry about it. One free Ice Blended.

* Last night I was seeing a friend DJ at a small club and went out back to an outside bar and asked if they take credit card for a vodka tonic. The bartender said only cash but I realized I didn't have enough. He asked how much I had. In my wallet there was two dollars. "That's fine" he said and poured my drink.

* A few days earlier I ordered a meal at a KFC drive-through. When I got to the window to pay, I discovered they didn't take any credit or debit cards. So I said I needed to cancel my order. The guy shrugged and handed over my drink anyway, saying " Just keep the drink."

I have been trying to commit random acts of kindness to people in the past few weeks, so although my bank account may be low, my karmic account seems to be in good shape. Maybe I should step up my random acts of kindness to Pre-Meditated to see what can really happen.

No comments: