Thursday, February 14, 2008

Geek Alert: Something I Can't Afford but Bought Anyway


I've been wanting one of these for a while. A Wacom Cintiq tablet. Essentially a highly sensitive screen with a pressure sensitive stylus. For years I've been drawing on a tablet below my eyeline, but watching the screen where the work goes on, which requires some weird hand/eye sync to get used to. Now I get to look where my hand is moving. They used to be far too expensive for me, but this new model is just a little expensive for me, so I jumped.

It's still not like drawing on paper, though, since the screen is very slick. Drawing on a texture like paper gives more friction which allows more control and precision quickly . The tablet can allow this but really lends itself best for loose and gestural stuff or painterly techniques (at least until I get used to it) So for VERY detailed stuff I still sketch on paper and scan it to paint in Photoshop. Below are a couple recent things done completely in Photoshop using my new toy.

No comments: