Monday, February 25, 2008

Ling-Ling Sets Me Straight

For the past week I've been house/cat sitting for my friends Chris and Khue in Eagle Rock. Generally I'm allergic to cats, but every once in a while I seem to get along with one like Ling-Ling. Low dander levels or something I'm told.

Anyway, Ling-Ling and I have had a pretty good relationship this week except for one habit she has that drove me absolutely nuts.

Being somewhat nocturnal the Double L has a nightly penchant for leaping up to the top of a wardrobe that stands at the foot of the bed. She'll then stare down at me like some freaky gargoyle before launching herself into the air four feet above the bed.

This is all cute except that she only pulls these feline acrobatics just after I managed to fall into a nice deep sleep. The next thing I know I'm ripped from my slumber, bolting upright with my heart beating fast because it felt like someone just threw a sandbag into bed next to me.
I usually swear at Ling-Ling and push her out of bed, though she never seems to carry an air of remorse.

After a couple nightly performances of this, I had enough. I banned Ling-Ling from the bedroom, physically chasing her out the other night and closing the door. What followed was Ling-Ling crying and pawing at the door for ten minutes. I finally fell asleep to the dubious sounds of Ling-Ling amusing herself in the living room, doing Lord knows what.

When I woke up the next morning I found this as I opened the bedroom door:

I'm not really sure whether to be amused or freaked out at Ling-Ling's offerings. But she seemed to be delivering a message in the form of Khue's padded insoles. "Tread lightly in my house"?
Who knows.

No comments: